Sunday, January 20, 2013

The cels


Original date of post: December 3, 2012

Today I sent the Celica to the junkyard. I was emotionally prepared, and did not cry. Because it has been such a trusty little thing, I was always prepared for her to either last 2 more years or two more weeks. I'm also big on recycling so not all felt lost . . . But I still felt a lot of emotions. Gee whiz! I realized I couldn't really go somewhere to "visit" her. I don't even think I took a souvenir at all. Just pictures of her leaving me. I went through all the old repair orders from the glove compartment, pocketed every last nickel left in the seat crevices, and told her that I was sorry if her next home was mean to her. 

Just kidding! I hold on to a TON load of memories with that thing! Ok, let's see. Auntie Luisa bought it new in 1991, drove very nearby to work and back and Miss Daisy-ed Lola Luz around town. She never took it on the freeway for like almost ten years. Then she got married, upgraded, and my family acquired adorable little Celie and all her fine powder blue-ness. Then Joe drove it in high school, and blew through like 5 radiators before he got his cool Subaru.

So for almost the last decade Celie has been zipping me around to school and jobs and to all the other activities of my 20s fun life - I've even moved somewhat long distances in that car. Maybe 4 or 5 times, Huntington Beach, The Bay area, Oceanside, back to Cerritos then to Koreatown. I once clocked 42 miles per gallon on a trip to the Bay! I've transported many clients in it as well, despite the tinyness of the car and how low she sits. A few of those clients peed in it. Every morning. 

In the end, when Lonny's car turned out to be an absolute lemon of the worst rind, he ended up giving it up and we've been sharing good old Celie - something that was very easy to do because we live centrally now to just about everything that matters, transit actually exists here, and biking is fun again.

That Celica might be the best car I'll have ever owned. It averaged a minimum 33 miles to the gallon, cost about $300 or less to fix a year on average and ran for eons despite existing mildly serious engine problems. Even as she passed the 200,000 mile mark, I realize now that she never really left me stranded and I hope she rests in peace at the junk yard and that people are somewhat gentle with their tools when they pick parts out and off of her one by one. If it hurts a little bit, just hum one of our old tunes, Celie - you have to agree, we bumped some true bangers. Always remember the family that loved you and thought so very highly of you.

Sorry about all the spilled coffee . . . and ofcourse, thanks for the ride. 

No comments:

Post a Comment