Sunday, January 20, 2013

Finding higher gears


Original date of post: September 19, 2012

I been making friends with the family who live across the hall. Once, Cody barked at the mother/abuela who lives there, and she got so scared! I felt terrible! But she tossed her head back and laughed with careless glee at it all, as I hastily tried to extend as many explanations and apologies I could with my broken Spanish. Both the older lady and the little sister looked very surprised when they figured out I knew Spanish. Like, glad surprised. The lil boy is cute and smiles big with both two front teeth missing. The big sister loves Cody, but Cody doesn’t pay attention because we see them usually before a walk. Or after a walk, when Cody knows it’s dinnertime.

When I have seen into in their studio, there are 3 mattresses. Late at night I hear the dad come home, I’ve never seen him, I just know his sound of his keys going into his door. I think teenagers live there too. Not sure. I just know that when the kids run out of space and start to play and get loud and laugh in the hallways, Lonny and I don’t complain.

Today, I took them some extra pastries and other sweet things from work, which they throw away by the dozen at the end of the night. But I bring home only as much as I can carry on my bike - a half bag for Lonny and I, a whole bag for the homeless on my ride through 7th. I stare at our half bag and halve it. I'd had my calories for the day and Lonny's stomach is small. I still ended up with three cranberry bars, two bagels and two muffins.

I think it’s time that I get more storage on my bike anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment