Friday, July 27, 2012

How much is time really worth? #notablogaboutmoney

I sit here at a busy coffeehouse. An old man who seems to be a ucla professor asks me to watch his effects while he moves his car. I tell him i dont mind one bit. Among his belongings is a MacBook air. He is very friendly and absolutely insists that I may leave it if I have to leave and he takes too long. He walks away leaving the stunningly flashy laptop, clamshell open, atop a custom leather folio case. He leaves and insists again that I can leave because 'no one steals here and besides, every one here has their own computer'. I nod and smile while my mind is full of "!!!!". I really love old people. I especially love old educated persons. 

I am ready to leave. I think he's been gone 20 minutes. I vow to sit and people watch for ten more minutes. It's something I like to do and so why not? I've also considered myself to be of major amounts of patience like 90% of the time. But for some reason, I'm struggling with this new scenario. 

I over-think this whole thing. Of course. I wonder if I'm on a candid camera show and it's all a trick. That'd be lame. I'm not down for that, it's Friday, I'm tired and my hair is fugly today. I wonder if he will be so astounded by my kindness that he will exclaim, 'Young brown woman! I am astounded by your kindness! You are still here guarding my effects! You also look poor! Here's $50, I have so much more money at home from my 30 years of research work at ucla. Geez! I mean, I've been at the forefront of every breakthrough in the field of abnormal psychology for a minute now. I'm actually not sure what to do with all this cash so maybe you should have it, you absolute angel!'

I stay an extra 20 min. Sure I have things to do, and a dog waiting. But most of those things involve sitting on my ass and whatever is on the E! Or TruTV channel, so I wait and write on my iPod, continue to write, and try to eavesdrop on conversations around me. That's always fun! One thing that you haven't figured out about Carolynn — She is a nosy ass bitch!

Then I see what's happening here. This is a karma test. Just this week I was dealt the horrible news that my MacBook' drive is corrupted and to fix it will cost lots of money that I don't have. The chances of me recovering my data is also slim. I am here to either to choose to leave and be a part of the reason his laptop is stolen or stay and let all that good Apple karma flow to me at a time when I really need it. 

THEN ... He returns and guess what?!?!?!

He gave me a warm thank you and I told him it was no problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment